Friday, January 21, 2011

Cock-a-doodle-doo

Roosters in South East Asia are fucking rampant and they're assholes. The stock image of the noble rooster crowing at the break of dawn and letting the world know it's time to get up and moving is utter bullshit, these fucking dickheads just stay up all night weakly crowing like they have no goddamn pride or something, they just do it to annoy everyone. I was kept awake countless times and eventually built up a hatred for them.
I was talking with some local dude in norther Bali about how shitty roosters are and he asked me if I wanted to see them kill each other, I answered immediately "Yes." No-brainer. I hopped on the back of his moped and we drove into the jungle a ways on some trail, I was starting to think that I was going to be taken to some gang-house to be jacked up. After scoping out a couple "arenas" (read: dirt clearings) we went back to the dude's family's place because he found out the cock fights were going to be in the evening. So I sat around with some Balinese dudes, some old, some young, we were drumming and drinking palm liquor straight, it was a good ol' fashion afternoon in Bali.
We biked up deep into the jungle a long some really narrow windy, bumpy path until we we reached a large dirt clearing in the middle of the jungle. The atmosphere was surreal, caged roosters everywhere, people holding roosters by their legs, roosters in bags, men and children as young as 4 years old all just hanging around and chilling out.
What they do to find a match is they hold to roosters face to face to see if they'll actually fight, if one pussies out before the match even happens then they don't even bother setting it up. When they finally find a pair that are down to rumble they strap on razor sharp knives to the rooster's feet, so the roosters think they are just scrapping as usual but they're actually stabbing eachother to death.
I saw one really badass rooster and told my buddy that we'd bet on him but every other rooster was too afraid to fight the guy and he never had a match. I bet $5 on another match and my buddy bought the loser for dinner. Watch the chickens fight was really intense, at first they were kind of just jumping at eachother but then one of them realized it'd been stabbed and started limping away and then finally just collapsed in a pile of feathers. If the loser doesn't die they take the knife and stab it in its heart.
After the fights were done my friend (never even got the dude's name) and I left with the dead rooster and the one who won (to train for future fighting), I drove this time and he was on the back with a rooster bag in each hand. It was a fun ass ride down the mountain and I caught air going over some bump and nearly made the dude fly off, hilarious. After we got back the grandma cut up the dead rooster and made some of the spiciest chicken stew ever, I'm pretty good with spices but my entire face was sweating and snot was running out my nose like crazy. Good shit though.

No comments:

Post a Comment